- My Rating: [B], I gave it a (3.5 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
John John Dead Guy Ale (Dead Guy Ale Aged in Dead Guy Whiskey Barrels) – Rogue Ales, 8.2% ABV – 40 IBUs, 1 pt. 6 fl.oz., (Newport, Oregon, USA)
- Style: (whiskey barrel aged) Heller Bock
- Where I got it : Brewery Creek / Vancouver
- How much: $11.50 (after 10% off) – 1 pt. 6 fl.oz., April 2012
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Recommended: 50/50
- What made an impression: easy drinkability
Visual: (cellared for 5.5 years). Pours translucent deep honey brown with much of a head, ring with a large island micro retention, a plethora of clustered fast micro streams.
Nose: honey toffee barley malt (lvl-6)-pungency
Attack: crisp-airy, malty-forward
Mid-palate: (lvl-5-sweetness), toffee caramel barley malt, background subtle boozy,
Finish: vanilla nuances, toffee’d whiskey’d oak, honey malt exhale
Summary: Smooth drinkability, no rough edges or offensive flavours/textures, but lacks in depth and punchiness. In other words, it’s not very memorable nor impressionable.