- My Rating: B-
It’s Alive! (White Wine Barrel; Lagret 7 måneder på hvidvinsfade) – Mikkeller, 10% ABV – 375ml., (Copenhagen, Denmark)
- Style: (barrel-aged) Sour/Wild Ale
- Taste: Super woody apple-malt with some barnyard funk
- Where I got it : Sherbrooke
How much: $9 (after 10% off) – 375ml., June 2012
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: only if sour ales are your thing
Visual: Pours cloudy maple syrup brown with a smallish ultra-creamy lasting head, tons of very sticky lacing, several very active streams.
Nose: woody sour apple cider with substantial funk (7/10-pungency)
Attack: light-pukey up front
Mid-palate: controlled (5/10)-sweetness, mild sourness/tang, creamy-fizzy mouthfeel, (MAIN) intense woodiness, very yeasty, apple-malt, light-moderate funk/mild puke
Finish: residual wet-wood, soft sweet-bitter hops, woody exhale-hoppy finish.
Summary: Most woody, but actually quite drinkable after you get accustomed to it. I like the gray version better.