- My Rating: [B-], I gave it a (3.4 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
Imperial Coffee Stout – Spinnakers Brewpub, 8.6% ABV -22 IBU, 650ml., (Victoria, BC, Canada) (*local BC craft beer*)
-yep, another Spinnakers brew. Really, I’m just saving all my best bottles that I know can age for later date.
on the front-right label:
“In collaboration with the good folks at Fernwood Coffee, we present this big ol’ coffee stout! Heaps of dark malts and roasted barley combine with locally roasted, Fernwood cold brewed coffee to create a rich, full bodied experience that is sure to delight beer and coffee aficionados alike.”
Ingredients: aquifer water, malted barley, Fernwood cold brew coffee, oats, hops, yeast.
- Style: (flavoured – Fernwood cold brew coffee) Imperial Stout
- Taste: Sweet thick heavy molasses barley malt mocha roasted coffee woody bittersweet
- Where I got it : BC Liquor Stores
- How much: $7.35 CAD – 650ml., February 2016
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: my favourite brew of (11) theirs to date
Visual: Pours super dark brown with a lasting 70% foamy head, not much lacing, clusters of steady micro streams visible near the surface.
Nose: dark chocolate, roasted barley, deep roasted coffee (lvl-9)-pungency
Attack: crisp, fizzy-airy
Mid-palate: (lvl-8-sweetness), alcoholic heavy thick barley malt, molasses, mocha, root beer/anise notes
Finish: roasted coffee/woody exhale, bittersweet roasted barley
Summary: Not the most elegant of imperial stouts but this one does have a pretty good flavour profile, good depth and complexity. Being that this incorporates cold brew coffee, there should be cleaner, fruitier coffee notes but nonetheless this is my favourite Spinnakers brew of the 11 that I’ve tried.