- My Rating: [B+], I gave it a (3.8 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
Doppel Shot Doppel Bock (Limited release) – Maui Brewing Company, 8.2% ABV – 12 fl.oz., (Kihei, Maui, Hawaii)
on the front-left of the can:
“Not your everyday Doppelbock! This unique Doppelbock was brewed to showcase the fresh roasted Yellow Caturra MauiGrown coffee from Ka’anapali, Maui. This beer is rich in pale malt character and brings slight sweetness to compliment the smooth character of the coffee. The darker color comes from the heavy coffee addition.”
- Style: (flavoured – Maui coffee) Doppelbock
- Taste: Big barley malt alcoholic smooth bittersweet escalating sweet roasted coffee cacao
- Where I got it : Legacy Liquor / Vancouver
- How much: $15.35 CAD (after 10% off) – 4 x 12 fl.oz., November 2015
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Recommended: yes
- What made an impression: long length of coffee flavour
Visual: (cellared for 2 years). 4-pack aluminum cans. Pours clear copper orange, not much of a head, thick ringed retention, a great mix of fast and sporadic large and small bubble streams.
Nose: nutty cocoa roast coffee beans, slight barley malt background. (lvl-7)-pungency
Mid-palate: liquid barley malt, alcohol detection, escalating (lvl-7-sweetness), bittersweet coldbrew coffee
Finish: nutty coffee malt exhale, cacao-caramel, subtle hop bitter, lengthy residual roasted bitter coffee.
Summary: Very good length of coffee flavour as well as depth, but slightly too much alcohol detection in the early mids that builds into a substantial alcohol hit by the late mids. Good drinkability and texture. Solid.