- My Rating: [A], I gave it a (4.3 of 5) on
Mout & Mocca – Brouwerij De Molen, 11.6% ABV – 330ml., (Bodegraven, Netherlands)
Ingredients: water, pale, brown, cara, roasted barley malts, premiant (bitter hop), coffee, wild mocca, yeast (top fermenting). Unpasteurized.
- Style: (coffee) Flavoured Imperial Stout
- Taste: Deep roasted bittersweet coffee choco malt super smooth high ABV
- Where I got it : W. 16th Liquor Store
- How much: $6 (after 10% off) – 330ml., April 2013
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: yes!!! Finally a beer I’m willing to have seconds
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: absolutely 100%
Visual: A whopping 11.6% ABV!!! Should be good… Pours dark beer bottle brown, a smallish head, a thin ultra-micro bubbly layer of retention, some lacing, a few hard-to-see tiny CO2 streams.
Nose: Fragrant deep-roasted coffee, some caramel malts, lots of chocolate, trace amounts of sourness. (lvl-10)-pungency
Attack: slick-crisp mouthfeel
Mid-palate: immediate bold flavours of -> (MAIN) deep roasted coffee, chocolate, demerara sugar, mild alcohol detection, late -> (lvl-5) malty sweetness
Finish: light counterbalancing sourness, gentle long-soft bitter hops, background non-invasive alcohol heat, smooth bittersweet roasted coffee finish.
Summary: Initial sip = knew this was a great brew, absolutely stunningly smooth. ABV is supremely well-hidden by the full-bodied mocha-malt mix. It’s like drinking a nicely bittersweetened roasted coffee beverage. Kudos to the De Molen team for such a fab brew. Lots of roasted coffee on the inhale-exhale. Alcohol detection increases as it warms.