- My Rating: [C-], I gave it a (2.3 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
Juniper Berry Mild Summer Lager – Big Rock Brewing, 5% ABV – 355ml., (Calgary, Alberta, Canada)
printed on the front right-side of the can:
“Juniper berries are what give gin its distinctive delicious flavour. And, in our experience, citrusy pine and cascade hops combined with pale, vienna and caramel malts make for a crisp, refreshing, easy-drinking lager. So with a mad-scientist glint in our eye, we crushed juniper berries right into the wort at the boil stage of this brew. This sublime fusion results in a summer thirstbuster you’ll want in the fridge this year.”
- Style: (Juniper Berry) Flavoured Pale Lager
- Taste: Biting pine-grapefruit hoppy malt with mild juniper background
- Where I got it : BC Liquor Stores
- How much: $23/12-pack – 12x355ml., July 2014
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: nah
Visual: Part of a variety 12-pack, aluminum cans. Pours clear bright golden orange with a massive semi-lasting bubbly head, barely any lacing, several steady micro streams.
Nose: mild honeyed malts, hints of muskiness. (lvl-3)-pungency
Attack: biting crispness, incoming hops
Mid-palate: medium bodied, (lvl-4)-semi-dry sweetness, (MAIN) sharp bitter pine hops, bitter grapefruit, light toffee malts
Finish: underlying juniper berry, continued bitter hoppy malty finish.
Summary: Mild juniper, hardly has any impact; The hops make the most impression. All four flavours in this 12-pack were mediocre. Try another brewery if you want something special.