Here we have Round 2 of the citrus vodka battle, with the Round 1 winner Absolut Vodka up against the challenger Skyy Infusions Citrus.
1) Absolut Citron – 40% ABV – 750ml, Sweden, ~$27 CAD
- continuous distillation, winter wheat
- Ingredients: vodka, natural citrus flavour (how?) (Note: lime is also added according to their website)
2) Skyy Infusions Citrus – 35% ABV – 750ml, USA, ~$27 CAD
- 4x column distilled, 3x filtered, reverse osmosis
- vodka infused with sun-ripened ingredients
Nose: The newcomer Skyy has an amazing full-bodied bouquet of a nose, exhibiting the aromas of lemon zest, lemon oil, and a touch of the pulp when freshly squeezed. The nose of the Absolut is rather, well chemical in comparision; the alcohol is much more detectable and covers most of the lemon scent. Hands down the winner is Skyy Citrus.
Taste: With such a promising nose on the Skyy, the taste should be equally as luscious. It doesn’t disappoint. Its entry is soft and rounded, medium-sweet with the tingly-light tangy citrus warmth kicking in the mids until the finish. The alcohol is soft and never invasive. Absolut drinks much sweeter and aggressive flavouring in all aspects – bolder but more artificial citrus, more vodka wheatiness, stronger alcohol burn and warmth, and rougher finish. In picking a winner based on enjoyability and balance, a new champion has been crowned in Skyy Infusions Citrus.
- Absolut has bolder artificial-tasting flavour, aggressive and alcohol. Not as good as Skyy.
- Skyy has better smoothness, authenticity of citrus flavour, and drinkability. This will work better with cocktails that require balance and finesse.