- My Rating: [C], I gave it a (2.9 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
TL:DR – “Just ok, the spices+pumpkin give me a gag reflex in the mids. Not my thing.”
He Said (Baltic-Style Porter, lager brewed with pumpkin and spices), 8.2% ABV, 12 fl.oz., (San Francisco, California, USA)
- Style: (flavoured – pumpkin, spices) Baltic Porter
- Taste: caramel pumpkin barley malt astringent caraway-gag reflex
- Where I got it : Trader Joe’s / Seattle
- How much: $13 USD / $17 CAD – 4 mixed pack x 12 fl.oz., October 2015
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: No
- Recommended: nah
- What made an impression: astringently spiced, causes gag reflex
Visual: (cellared for 2.5 years). 4-pack aluminum canned, 2 flavours. Pours dark coffee brown with a dissipating 1cm head, fine ringed retention with a half island, singular micro streams along the perimeter.
Nose: caramel barley malt, caramelized pumpkin nuances. (lvl-7)-pungency
Attack: sharp crisp bite, caraway (kind of minty)
Mid-palate: caramel barley malt, (lvl-6-sweetness), cinnamon, caramelized pumpkin, brown sugar
Finish: residual malt sweetness, root beer, very subtle bitter
Summary: On its own, drinkable, above average. But with a meal, it brings out this astringent spice gag reflex (probably the caraway&pumpkin combo) that just doesn’t do it for me. I enjoyed the He Said Belgian-style tripel more.