- My Rating: [FAIL]
Spiced Apple Ale – Spinnakers Brewpub, 5.5% ABV – 10 IBU, 650ml., (Victoria, BC, Canada) (*local BC craft beer*)
on the front-right label:
“SPICED APPLE ALE: A blend of BC grown apple cider and a spiced amber ale, this fall treat is brewed to be enjoyed as the leaves change colour and the bounty of the season is ready to harvest.”
Made with: aquifer water, apple cider, barley, hops, yeast, spices.
- Style: (flavoured – apple cider, spices) Amber ale
- Taste: Palate rough tart tangy background acidic pukey weak apple barley unclean
- Where I got it : Tobys / N. Vancouver
- How much: $8.50 CAD (after 10% off) – 650ml., January 2018
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Recommended: avoid like herpes
- What made an impression: weak ale base, clashing of flavours
Visual: Pours clear light copper brown with no head, a very hazy light layer of micro retention w/ thin ring, spread out steady micro streams.
Nose: light woody apple cider, nutmeg/cinnamon (lvl-4)-pungency
Attack: crisp, rough tangy entry
Mid-palate: tangy pukey apple cider, light tart, (lvl-3-sweetness), rough acidity, light body grainy barley malt
Finish: dry palate rough, unclean muddled spices
Summary: An awful blend of beer and cider – the tangy apple cider notes completely clash with the weak and thin barley beer base. The spices used hardly add any element of depth or interest except to enhance the nose. A complete waste of time, money and calories. In fact, I doubt I’ll ever purchase any bottle of Spinnakers in the future.