- My Rating: [C], I gave it a (2.9 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
Red Racer Smore Stout – Central City Brewers & Distillers, 6.0% ABV, 650 ml., (Surrey, British Columbia, Canada) (*local BC craft beer*)
printed on the front-left label:
“Like a delicious smore, this craft beer creation is infused with marshmallow flavour, chocolate, fall spice flavour and has a smooth, creamy centre. ”
Ingredients: water, malted barley, chocolate, vanilla, lactose, hops, spices, natural flavours.
- Style: (flavoured – chocolate, vanilla, lactose) Sweet Stout
- Taste: Sweet nutmeg chocolate barley malt vanilla extract bittersweet dull profile
- Where I got it : BC Liquor Stores
- How much: $6.30 CAD – 650 ml., December 2017
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Recommended: nope
- What made an impression: big spices, dull flavour
Visual: Pours dark brown without much of a head, thin ringed retention w/ half island, several slow micro streams.
Nose: chocolate, vanilla sweet malt (lvl-8)-intensity
Attack: crisp-tingly, nutmeg
Mid-palate: toasted liquid barley malt, (lvl-5-sweetness), mild milky, chocolate malt
Finish: soft roasted bitter, vanilla extract, lingering bittersweet malt
Summary: A prominent but dull spice presence; The vanilla flavour is rather basic and tastes of the inexpensive extract variety. The malt backbone lacks length and carry but the overall spice + malt combo is at least drinkable, although not the least bit memorable. It has a bit of lingering and compounding astringency – this beer doesn’t taste at all like a s’more.