1) Whaler’s Spiced Rum – Bishop Wines & Spirits (Mira Loma, CA, USA), 35% ABV – 750ml, $39.50 CAD @ Liquor Depot Dilworth in Edmonton, AB (7/2010 price)
- “Made from Hawaii’s legendary recipe”
2) Elements Eight Spiced Rum – Elements Eight Rum Company Ltd. (London, England, UK), 40% ABV – 700ml, $59 CAD (after 10% off) @ Sherbrooke Liquor in Edmonton, AB (3/2011 price)
- 8 step process: 1) Terroir (St. Lucia climate) -> 2) Cane -> 3) Water (tropical water) -> 4) Fermentation (3 strains of yeast) -> 5) Distillation (Kentucky Bourbon Vendome pot still, using “heart only) -> 6) Tropical Ageing (American oak Bourbon barrels) -> 7) Blending (10+ single rums) -> 8) Filtration
- 2x the price point of “standard” rums ($60 vs $30)
- Fancy and classy bottle
- Whaler’s (WH): 50/50 blend of vanilla-molasses & alcohol detection
- Elements Eight (E8): nutmeg, orange, coffee nib, biscuity liquid toffee
- E8 is much cleaner and more enticing
Taste & Texture:
- WH: thinnish, a mix of cinnamon/nutmeg with vanilla and alcohol at the start, medium-high heat with dryness as the finish
- E8: explicitly full-bodied. Slick, big orange coffee up front (much like Pyrat Rum Cast 1623), clove, cascading waves of controlled molasses sweetness, cocoa, subdued medium alcoholic heat. Finally a good sipping spiced rum.
- WH: watery feel, vanilla, dull. E8: oily, big orange coffee bean, smooth rounded sipper. E8 is FAR superior.
In a Rum & Coke
- Whaler’s & Coke is cola-caramel forward with dry lime juice and oils in the mids to finish.
- Elements Eight & Coke is aggressively sweet sticky-tart with a incompatible cloying orange flavour in the mids, finishing unclean with cocoa-cola.
- Whaler’s is more enjoyable in a cola mixer.
- Whaler’s has a decent of mix of cinnamon/nutmeg, toffee and vanilla but is thin and has harsher detectable alcohol.
- Elements Eight has a luscious rush of orange nutty coffee bean, tanginess, and toffee-cocoa.
WINNER = the challenger Elements Eight. You can taste the rich difference in quality. Finally, a tasty sipping spiced rum that has left the rest behind (Sailor Jerry’s, Devil’s Triangle, Captain Morgan’s, Whaler’s), but less than perfect in a Rum & Coke.