- My Rating: [C+], I gave it a (3.1 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
Pasionaria Double IPA 2011 – Brasserie Trois Dames, 9% ABV, 75 cl., (Saint-Croix, Switzerland)
- Style: Imperial IPA / Double IPA
- Taste: Heavy sweet apple-date toffee barley malt alcoholic
- Where I got it : Brewery Creek / Vancouver
- How much: $16 CAD (10% off) – 750 ml., September 2012
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: nah
- What was the impression: too heavy sweet malt
Visual: (cellared for 5 years). Pours almost opaque reddish-brown with a large suspended sediment, no head, very thin ringed retention, no activity.
Nose: brown sugar pruney toffee barley malt. (lvl-4)-pungency
Attack: dull-almost flat CO2, light crisp
Mid-palate: apple toffee malt, (lvl-7-sweetness), tangy heavy alcohol, dates
Finish: residual heavy sugars
Summary: Decent smooth drinkability but flavours are on the heavy and dull side. It needs some brightness to improve the overall balance.