- My Rating: [A-], I gave it a (4.1 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
Victory at Sea (Porter with coffee & vanilla, Imperial Porter) – Ballast Point Brewing Company, 10.0% ABV, 22 fl.oz., (San Diego, California, USA)
on the front-right label:
“Our Victory at Sea Imperial Porter is a bold, smooth brew with just the right amount of sweetness. We infused this robust porter with vanilla and San Diego’s own Caffe Calabria coffee beans. The subtle roasted notes and the minimal acidity of the cold brewed coffee balanced perfectly with sweet caramel undertones of the malt, a winning combination for your palate.”
- Style: (flavoured – vanilla, coffee bean) Imperial Porter
- Taste: Smooth roasted coffee malt subdued alcohol-acidity integrated vanilla
- Where I got it : Sherbrooke / Edmonton
- How much: $13 CAD (after 10% off) – 22 fl.oz., March 2017
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: yes!
Visual: (cellared for 0.5 years). Pours beer bottle brown without much of a head, half layer of lasting retention, micro streams surfacing,
Nose: sweet roasted barley malt, vanilla, roasted coffee bean, caramel brown sugar malt. Can’t get much better than this. (lvl-6)-pungency
Attack: mild slick/thicker-soft crisp, roast malt impression
Mid-palate: subdued zingy alcohol, soft background sourness, (lvl-7-sweetness), roasted coffee, caramel roast barley malt
Finish: vanilla, residual sweet malt, roasted coffee malt exhale, alcohol hit, roasted bitter hops
Summary: What on earth?! Impossibly smooth and very drinkable for a 10%. It does get somewhat heavy 2/3 through, but I appreciate the robust roasted coffee malt profile and integrated vanilla that makes each sip a delight. Excellent quality, wishing for more creamy milkiness to make it truly phenomenal.