- My Rating: [B+], I gave it a (3.8of 5) on Ratebeer.com
Hopopotamus Oak Aged IPA (Limited edition), 6.8% ABV, 650ml., (Vancouver, BC, Canada) (*local BC craft beer)
on the back label:
“Surprisingly smooth with a booming bite, this IPA is big on flavour. Hopopotamus packs a punch of citrus and pine, and finishes with the vanilla and caramel sweetness of oak.”
- Style: (oak aged) India Pale Ale
- Taste: Tangy citrus piney sweet toffee vanilla malt soft bitter
- Where I got it : BC Liquor Stores
- How much: $6.70 CAD – 650ml., September 2017
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: yep
Visual: Pours opaque orange-brown with a very small 1mm lasting head, ultra fine layer of retention, scattered steady micro streams.
Nose: orange-piney citrus floral bright hop oils (lvl-8)-pungency
Attack: crisp thicker, heavy sweet malt impression, creamy tingly mouthfeel
Mid-palate: (lvl-6-sweetness), tangy mandarin orange overtones, smooth toffee malt, light oak vanilla, green piney notes
Finish: lingering pine hops, a burst of hop bitter
Summary: Excellent complexity and balance in this one, with the oak playing a prominent yet balanced role in adding warmth and slight woodiness to the citrus piney base IPA. The transition from citrus to oak character is very pleasant and unique. Recommended.