- My Rating: [A], I gave it a (3.5 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
Pipewrench Gin Barrel Aged IPA – Gigantic Brewing Company, 8% ABV – 85 IBU, 22 oz., (Portland, Oregon, USA)
on the front-right label:
“Our Gigantic IPA aged in Ransom Old Tom Gin barrels for 3 months. Botanicals from the gin meld perfectly with the citrusy hops and subtle wood in an incredibly complex beer.”
- Style: (Ransom Old Tom Gin barrel aged) IPA
- Where I got it : Bottle Jockey / N.Burnaby
- How much: $9 (after 10% off) – 22 oz., September 2015
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: doubt it
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: YES
Visual: Pours opaque deep coral pink with a large supremely foamy long-lasting head, thick sticky lacing, clusters of active micro streams – Flawless appearance.
Nose: floral orange citrusy sweet malt with some tangy curd (lvl-7)-pungency
Attack: silky-fine creamy-crisp, airy alcoholic, sweet malt impression
Mid-palate: fruity juniper/crème de violet, (lvl-4-sweetness), soft tangy citrus curd, toffee malt
Finish: soft dry woody oak, dry gin edginess, stealth low bitter hops
Summary: A deeply interesting IPA that absorbs compound flavours from both the gin and wine that were aged in that same barrel (Wine -> Ransom Old Tom Gin -> Gigantic IPA). An IPA at heart with a prominent floral gin component as well as a woody nuance. The finish is slightly alcoholic aggressive. I’d love to try more gin BA beers.