- My Rating: [B], I gave it a (3.6 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
Echigo Stout – Echigo Beer Company, 7% ABV, 330 ml., (Niigata, Japan)
- Style: (sweet) Stout
- Taste: Smooth balanced molasses light roast caramel biscuity barley malt
- Where I got it : Brewery Creek / Vancouver
- How much: $7 CAD (after 10% off) – 330 ml., September 2012
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: sure, but not crazily
Visual: (cellared for 5 years). Pours dark cola brown without a significant head, thick ringed retention, lots of clustered very active micro streams.
Nose: caramel liquid barley malt, light roast, hints of nutty. (lvl-8)-pungency, much stronger as it warms
Attack: dull crisp, soft light creamy, sweet caramel malt impression
Mid-palate: flat-tingly, (lvl-5-sweetness), molasses barley malt, light roast caramel malt, nutmeg, biscuity
Finish: hints of chocolate, lingering nutty-woody light bitter, cola
Summary: A very easy-to-drink 7%er stout with a solid balance of sweet and roasted malt. Slightly heavy malty sweet by the end but there’s enough complexity to balance it out. It lacks a bit of creaminess and push at the finish.