- My Rating: [B-], I gave it a (3.2 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
Black Sam Licorice Stout – Lighthouse Brewing, 7.2% ABV, 650 ml., (Victoria, BC, Canada) (*local BC Craft beer*)
on the front-right label:
“With an aroma of roasted malt and nighttime, this pitch black stout has flavours of rich maltiness, molasses sweetness, dark chocolate, and a delicate note of Licorice.”
- Style: (flavoured – Licorice) Stout
- Taste: Sweet molasses light roast barley malt mild coffee dark chocolate licorice
- Where I got it : Liquor Barn / N. Bby
- How much: $8 (after 10% off) – 650ml., December 2015
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: 50/50
Visual: (cellared for 1.5 years). Pours coffee black with no head, almost no retention, scatter micro bubbles surfacing.
Nose: caramelized barley malt, cocoa, slight roast (lvl-8)-pungency
Attack: crisp, sweet dark barley malt impression
Mid-palate: (lvl-6-sweetness), molasses, medium roasted barley, coffee,
Finish: dark chocolate, licorice, sweet roasted barley malt exhale
Summary: Overall clean and well-bodied. It lacks creaminess but makes for up for it with a crisp bite up front. Smooth transitions of flavours from start to finish.