- My Rating: C+
Blueberry Dessert Wine 2007 – Isabella Winery, 11% ABV – 375 ml., (Richmond, BC, Canada) (*local BC fruit wine*)
on the back label:
“Overlooking the historic Fraser River in the heart of blueberry country, Isabella Winery balances blueberry characteristics in this off-dry dessert wine. Delicious drizzled over vanilla ice cream”
- Style: (Blueberry) Dessert Wine
- Taste: Dense sweet juicy rich blueberry-blackberry tangy firm acidic mild alcohol
- Where I got it : @Winery
- How much: $17 (after 15% off) – 375 ml., January 2013
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to dessert wine aficionados: decent if untainted
Visual: (cellared for 10 years), a bit of mold on top of the cork. Pours deep purple, a bit of sediment.
Nose: light acidic alcoholic blueberry juice (lvl-6)-pungency
Attack: slightly syrupy, dense sweet blueberry impression
Mid-palate: tangy firm acidity, (lvl-8-sweetness), rich blueberry-mild blackberry juiciness
Finish: residual sugars, berry exhale, trace amounts of mold in the aftertaste (from the cork I suspect)
Summary: Isabella Winery sure is hit and miss. While the majority of their products are mediocre at best, this one is actually above average. It’s a shame that there was just a touch of mold in the aftertaste. Can’t say I would but this again, but I’m certainly glad I didn’t feel ripped off. The sugars make my sensitive teeth tingle.