- My Rating: [B-], I gave it a (3.3 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
What’s Golden East Meets West IPA – Parallel 49 Brewing & Green Flash Brewing Collaboration, 6.5% ABV, 650ml, (Vancouver, BC, Canada) (*local BC craft beer*)
on the 4-pack bomber box:
“We’ve matched a West Coast style IPA with techniques common to the newly popular New England IPA. Hop aromas of citrusy tropical fruit combine with a smooth and creamy mouth feel for a winning East-meets-West collab.”
-Incidentally, what is a New England IPA (sometimes known as Vermont IPA)?
here’s a short read, but compared to West Coast IPAs:
- smooth, creamy, fluffy mouthfeel (possible addition of flaked oats)
- tropical (mango/pineapple/passionfruit)
- NON-bitter hopped finish (not lingering at least)
- Style: (New England style) IPA
- Taste: Creamy mango soft bitter medium citrus barley malt hops dry non-bitter finish
- Where I got it : BC Liquor Stores
- How much: $28.75 CAD / 4-pack of 650ml., March 2017
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: not worth buying the 4-pack
Visual: In a mixed 4-pack of bombers. Pours clear pale golden orange with a smallish head, a micro layer of retention, steady loose streams.
Nose: fragrant mango-pineapple hop oils, musky dank hops. (lvl-8)-pungency
Attack: fluffy creamy mouthfeel, soft crisp, dryish 50/50-fruity/malt impression
Mid-palate: (lvl-3-sweetness), mango, peach, slight tangy soft bitter hops, medium body citrusy barley malt, soft metallic
Finish: cuts dry, short and dull non-lingering tangerine bitter hops,
Summary: This being my first try of a New England IPA, I must say I really dig the CREAMY mouthfeel. There’s a good burst of tropical citrus malt flavour up front, but I find the late-mids to finish cutting short rather abruptly, leaving the palate wanting more length. Nose and impression are there, but the body isn’t.