- My Rating: [B+], I gave it a (3.8 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
India Pale Ale – Nøgne Ø, 7.5% ABV, 0.50 L, (Grimstad, Norway)
on the front-side label:
“India Pale Ale is a full-flavored ale, as is traditional for this historic ale type. We have used hops from the American Pacific Coast because they add such a beautiful aroma. we recommend Nøgne Ø IPA be served at 10°C and paired with foods with strong or spicy flavors. Nøgne Ø ales are unfiltered and unpasteurized.”
- Style: India Pale Ale
- Taste: Woody funk fruity tangy plum barley malt dry bitter
- Where I got it : 16th St. Liquor / W.Vancouver
- How much: $7 CAD (after 10% off) – 0.50 L., September 2013
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: a truly different IPA
Visual: (cellared for 3 years). Huge gusher! Unfiltered yeast working OT. Pours 80/20-head/beer ratio, super thick foam, thick sticky lacing, opaque pale orange-brown, super clustered micro activity.
Nose: slight woody-sourish funk, unfiltered apple juice’d malts – very interesting for an IPA. (lvl-6)-pungency
Attack: crisp-very creamy, fruity malt impression
Mid-palate: full bloated mouthfeel, background tangy, (lvl-5-sweetness), plummy caramel barley malt
Finish: trace airy wheat malt, light woody-funk exhale, sourish dry bitter hops, residual caramel barley malt
Summary: Definitely not your standard IPA. The woody funk goes pretty well with the alcoholic sweet fruity barley malt body. The quality is a cut above the local brews here.