- My Rating: [B+], I gave it a (3.8 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
Freigeist Abraxxxas Smoked Lichtenhainer Weisse – Freigeist Bierkultur, 6% ABV, 0.5L., (Stolberg, Germany)
on the back label:
“Freigeist is an experimental offshoot of Cologne’s revolutionary small brewery, Braustelle. Here we strive to break the chains of industrial brewing by reviving, and updating, Germany’s unique, historical beer styles.
Inspired by the eastern German tart wheat beer style once known as ‘Lichtenahiner,’ Abraxxxas is sour and complex, with a balance smoky maltiness.”
- Style: Lichtenhainer
- Taste: Sweet medium sour-tangy-tart lemony barley-wheat malt balanced smoky rubber
- Where I got it : Bottle Jockey / N. Burnaby
- How much: $9 CAD (10% off) – 0.5L., January 2015
- Do I love this enoughto drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: yes, a unique style done well
Visual: Pours clear golden orange with a lasting 1mm micro head, fast steady singular streams.
Nose: soft smoky burnt rubber (lvl-4)-pungency
Attack: crisp, bright sour-light smoky impression
Mid-palate: light tingly-fizzy-burpy, (lvl-4-sweetness), tangy-sour lemony, barley-wheat malt
Finish: tart wheat malt palate roughish, light smoky rubber exhale, residual grainy barley malt
Summary: A very interesting revived beer style with loads of texture and an appetizing flavour profile. I like that the smokiness is clean and doesn’t dominate the entire palate.