- My Rating: [B-], I gave it a (3.6 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
2016 Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout – Steamworks Brewing Company, 9.5% ABV – 60 IBU, 650 ml., (Vancouver, BC, Canada) (*local BC craft beer)
on the front-left label:
“Aged in Tennessee Bourbon Barrels, this powerful Imperial Stout pours near black with a thick tan head at 60 IBU’s. Perfect for immediate enjoyment or further maturing.”
- Style: (Tennessee bourbon barrel aged) Imperial Stout
- Taste: Harsh alcoholic heavy vanilla bourbon roasted barley malt chocolate
- Where I got it : BC Liquor Stores
- How much: $16 CAD – 650ml., March 2017
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: not worth $ for a local brew
Visual: Pours jet black with a super-INFINITY-lasting 2cm frothy head, great micro foamy retention, thick sticky lacing, superfine micro clusters of activity. Visually, a masterpiece.
Nose: deep thick and sweet caramelized barley malt, vanilla overtones. (lvl-5)-pungency
Attack: thick-creamy crisp bite, heavy alcoholic malt impression
Mid-palate: (lvl-8-sweetness), bittersweet roasted barley malt, alcoholic numbing heavy, woody caramel, vanilla, chocolate
Finish: bourbon exhaled alcoholic heat, residual light roasted sweet caramel malt
Summary: Drinks full flavoured at 13°C and warmer. A pretty harsh heavy alcoholic sweet front but the vanilla-oak flavours from the bourbon barrel aging are actually quite nice. Not quite balanced/elegantly round enough to be great, too jagged at the entry. Also not worth the $16 CAD (for a local beer) as other people have noted.