- My Rating: [B+], I gave it a (3.8 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
Salted Caramel Stout – Breakside Brewery, 6.7% ABV, 1 pt 6 fl.oz., (Portland, Oregon, USA)
“A dessert stout brewed with lactose caramel and fleur de sel, inspired by our friends Tyler & Kim Malek at Salt & Straw. Tyler has been working on perfecting a lactose caramel syrup that mimics the flavor in his sea salt and caramel ice cream. After a few test blends, we’re worried that this might be the most addictive dessert beer ever made.”
- Style: (flavoured – salt, caramel) Stout
- Taste: Medium sweet caramel light roasted barley malt subtle salt-caramel
- Where I got it : BC Liquor Stores
- How much: $9.42 CAD – 1 pt. 6 fl.oz., February 2017
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: yes
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: for sure
Visual: Pours ultra dark brown with a creamy 2cm frothy head, sticky lacing, a thin layer of fine retention, singular fast as well as clustered steady micro streams.
Nose: initially light plasticky; sweet roasted barley malt (lvl-4)-pungency
Attack: crisp-creamy-thicker, sweet roasted malt impression
Mid-palate: liquid light roasted barley malt, (lvl-5-sweetness), background balanced stout sour, cascading creaminess, subtle alcohol detection
Finish: slight dark caramel, traces of salt, chocolate, smooth and clean bittersweet light roast
Summary: Extremely drinkable with subtle caramel and even subtler salt and bittersweetness to augment the main stout body. Wished for some vanilla to put it over the top. Still great.