- My Rating: [B], I gave it a (3.5 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
Ancient Lore Mead (flavoured mead), 18.0% ABV, 200ml, (Richmond, BC, Canada) (*local BC mead*)
on the back label:
“Golden Age Meadery strives to recreate the forgotten ancient recipes and revive the time – honored traditions of good cheer.
Mead made from local 100% natural local products:
Wildflower honey from Fraser Valley. Herbs from Lower Mainland. Fruits from Okanagan. Unfiltered, unpasteurized, no sulfites”
- Style: (flavoured – Balsam tree needles/NA fir, Tarragon, Nutmeg, Propolis, Coffee, Juniper berry, Yarrow, Grape leaf, Vanilla bean) Mead
- Taste: Complex cacao sweet tangy honey coffee vanilla hints of floral fir
- Where I got it : Legacy Liquor / Vancouver
- How much: $11 CAD (after 5% off) – 200ml., January 2015
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to mead aficionados: worth a go
Visual: Plastic cork. Pours slightly hazy apple juice yellow-orange.
Nose: cacao, coffee, vanilla, with some light-bodied mead in the background. Bright and inviting. (lvl-8)-pungency
Attack: incoming (lvl-6-sweetness)
Mid-palate: cacao, tangy-prickly honey wine, manageable alcohol heat
Finish: slight fir, mild alcohol throat warmth, coffee bean and vanilla exhale
Summary: A unique and delectable bouquet of florals, spices, berries and beans. Quite approachable and what I appreciate about this mead is at least some of the infused ingredients are discernible in the final product. Good complexity, but lacking depth/richness in the mids and finish, making it feel thin; Conversely however, this makes it easy to sip without taxing the palate.