- My Rating: [B], I gave it a (3.5 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock – Brauerei Heller, 6.5% ABV, 33 cl., (Bamberg, Germany)
on the back label:
“Aecht Schlenkerla Urbock is the the intense sibling of the classic Maerzen Smokebeer. Exactly like the classic all its barley malts are smoked over beech wood logs. Its higher smokemalt concentration and longer maturation in the 700 year old cellars underneath Bamberg create a taste profile of most intense smokiness beautifully balanced with deep malt sweetness.
- Style: (beechwood) Smoked / Rauchbier
- Taste: Controlled beechwood smoked medium heavy malted barley lengthy
- Where I got it : High Point / Vancouver
- How much: $6.30 CAD (after 20% off) – 500ml., October 2016
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: decent if you like the style
Visual: Pours a very dark brown with a small 1cm dissipating head, a bit of lacing, ringed retention with a small island, no visible activity.
Nose: huge sweet smoke (initially liquid smoke-like) with woody depth (lvl-10)-pungency
Attack: barely crisp, incoming sweet heavy malts
Mid-palate: beechwood smoke, (lvl-5-sweetness), liquid medium-heavy barley malt, caramel/toffee malty
Finish: lengthy woody smoke, residual soft barley malt sweet.
Summary: Quite smoky but controlled sweet to balance it out – good depth if you like the style. Mainly smoked barley malt forward.