- My Rating: [C], I gave it a (2.9 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
Hard Root Beer – Coney Island Brewing (brewed in collaboration with Boston Beer Company), 5.8% ABV, 12 fl.oz., (Brooklyn, NY, USA)
on the back label:
“The gypsy should have predicted this.The most dignified beverage of days past, reimagined for your future self. The wooden planks under your feet and a hot dog in your hand; the only difference is that now you?re tall enough to ride the ride.”
- Style: (root beer) Spiced Ale
- Taste: Generic grocery-store bought root beer with grain alcohol
- Where I got it : High Point / Vancouver
- How much: $2.90 (after 10% off), October 2016
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: no
Visual: Pours root beer brown (no surprise), quickly dissipating head, fizzy soda-like CO2.
Nose: syrupy sweet root beer, background vanilla, hints of licorice. (lvl-10)-pungency
Attack: incoming sugary sweetness, bitter alcohol
Mid-palate: medium-cloying (lvl-9-sweetness), cola-caramel molasses
Finish: licorice, vanilla extract
Summary: Sweet like a Barqs with a bit more rooty depth, but no beer in here at all. It tastes like a generic sugary root beer with some added grain alcohol. I’d rather just have a bottle of craft root beer.