- My Rating: [C+], I gave it a (2.9 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
Peared Up Saison – Central City Brewers & Distillers + Great Lakes Brewery (Toronto) Collaboration, 5% ABV, 650 ml., (Surrey, British Columbia, Canada) (*local BC craft beer*)
printed on the front-right label:
“The Paired Up Saison is a single hopped Saison brewed with Jarrylo Hops and real pear juice. The Jarrylo hops bring out a natural banana, pear and citrus spice flavour in this light and sessionable ale. The natural hop flavour is augmented with pear juice in the brew for a fruit-infused flavour experience.”
- Style: (flavoured – pear juice) Saison
- Taste: Crisp clean light-medium banana wheat malt mild pear roughish dry finish
- Where I got it : BC Liquor Stores
- How much: $6.90 CAD – 650 ml., August 2016
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to cider aficionados: nah.
Visual: Pours slightly translucent pale apple juice yellow with a medium-sized lasting head, 2mm retention, close singular fast large bubble streams.
Nose: pear floral-perfumy, yeasty light banana wheat malt. (lvl-6)-pungency
Attack: crisp-fizzy bite, mouthful of bubbly CO2
Mid-palate: tingly-fizzy, pineapple-banana wheat malt, yeasty-tangy mildly astringent, (lvl-3-sweetness), perfumey pear, hints of apple
Finish: wheat malt exhale, minor dry palate roughness, super subtle hop bitterness
Summary: Some pear flavour in the mids, but not very bright – predominantly banana wheat malt. Not super smooth, lacking in a substantial body; Sessionable but not impressionable.