- My Rating: [C], I gave it a (2.9 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
Queen Bee Honey Kolsch – Spinnakers Brewpub, 4.5% ABV – 20 IBU, 650ml., (Victoria, BC, Canada) (*local BC craft beer*)
on the front-right label:
“Honey Kolsch is a happy result of an abundance of honey foam, collected as honey is processed to separate the nectar from the cones. Rich in enzymes and minerals the foam is added to the boil providing a rich mouth feel and fermentables that produce a dry finish that enhances this take on the style.”
Ingredients: aquifer water, malted barley, local honey, hops, yeast.
- Style: (flavoured – Honey) Kolsch
- Taste: Sweet grainy barley malt bloated plain
- Where I got it : BC Liquor Stores
- How much: $5.40 CAD – 650ml., November 2015
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: nope
Visual: Pours clear golden light orange with a thick massive slowly dissipating head, tight clusters of fast active streams, sticky lacing.
Nose: yeasty, banana wheat malt (even though there is none), hints of apple (lvl-6)-pungency
Attack: super crisp, fizzy-creamy
Mid-palate: honey pollen, short (lvl-5-sweetness), light sour-tangy, grainy-metallic barley malt, bitter hops, apple
Finish: dry generic bitter hops
Summary: Okay flavour but the big CO2 makes you feel bloated. It gets boring a glass in. Light-med complexity and light-med body; another average brew from Spinnakers, and priced accordingly. I liked Rogue Farms Honey Kolsch [C+] and Fernie Kickstand Honey Kolsch [C+] slightly better.