- My Rating: [C+], I gave it a (2.8 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
Raj Mahal India Ale – Off The Rail Brewing Company, 5.0% ABV – 38 IBUs, 650 ml., (Vancouver, BC, Canada) (*local BC craft beer*)
–Canadian brewing awards 2016 Gold Medal
Ingredients: water, barley, hops, yeast, kaffir lime leaf, lemongrass
- Style: (flavoured – kaffir lime, lemongrass) India Pale Ale
- Taste: Uneventful tangy citrus grainy barley malt
- Where I got it : BC Liquor Stores
- How much: ~$6.50 CAD – 650 ml., mid 2016
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: nah, no gold medal from me
Visual: Pours translucent golden orange with no real head, just a bit of a spotty island, a few singular slow streams.
Nose: light fart, subtle rosey barley malt. (lvl-2)-intensity
Attack: crisp, incoming malt
Mid-palate: bright medium citrusy tangy, toffee barley malt, (lvl-4-sweetness), thinnish mouthfeel, slightly tangy kaffir lime leaf
Finish: tingly mouthfeel, subtle lemongrass, grassy grainy metallic barley malt, background soft bitter hops
Summary: If this one won the CBA 2016 Gold Medal, then all the others must have been really lackluster. This is just a bit above average; the lemongrass is barely there and the kaffir lime leaf only seems to keep it at the same level as opposed to kicking it up a notch.