- My Rating: [B], I gave it a (3.6 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
Game of Thrones #5 Three-eyed Raven (Dark Saison Ale), 7.2% ABV, 750 ml., (Cooperstown, NY, USA)
-What does beer and Game of Thrones have to do with each other? Absolutely nothing; do I care? Absolutely not! I love GoT and Ommegang so of course I have to try this.
on the front-right label:
“From the darkness I watch you. All of you, all of your lives, with a thousand eyes, and one. Abiding in the shadows of this dark saison lie beguiling and entrancing aromas and flavors – girded by crisp, lasting herbal hop notes, and a yeasty, spicy finish. Pour slowly, to not disturb yeast sediment, but with vigor to make a luxurious head and free the bouquet.“
- Style: (Dark) Saison
- Taste: Sour tangy panela barley malt banana wheat malt airy toasty prune roasted exhale
- Where I got it : BC Liquor Stores
- How much: $12.40 CAD – 750 ml., February 2016
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: interesting but not memorable
Visual: Hefty bottle, corked with a twisty steel cap. Pours dark cola brown with a large frothy head, good retention, just a bit of lacing, clusters of active streams.
Nose: lightly caramelized banana wheat malt, slight cotton candy (lvl-4)-pungency
Attack: crisp-smooth, light tingly fizzy
Mid-palate: panela barley malt, tangy banana wheat airy, (lvl-7-sweetness), toasty bready, dark fruit-prune, medium tangy-sour
Finish: light roasted malt exhale
Summary: Quite an interesting taste profile of tangy brown sugary banana wheat malt – all the while smooth and at a potent ABV. It’s just a bit too sour-tangy in the mids for my liking.