- My Rating: [B], I gave it a (3.5 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
Disco Soleil (India Pale Ale brewed with Kumquats) – Brasserie Dieu du Ciel, 6.5% ABV, 330 ml., (St-Jerome, Quebec, Canada)
Ingredients: water, malted barley, wheat, kumquats, hops, yeast
- Style: (flavoured – kumquat) India Pale Ale
- Taste: Smooth sweet citrusy kumquat low toffee barley malt short body resiny bitter hops
- Where I got it : Bottle Jockey / N. Burnaby
- How much: $3.50 (after 12.5% off) – 330ml., September 2015
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: yep, an IPA with delicious twist
Visual: Pours cloudy marmalade orange with a smallish head, a thin layer of retention, scattered small clusters of micro streams, suspended micro sediment.
Nose: slight orange citrus, sweet malted barley, soapy edge. (lvl-3)-pungency
Attack: crisp bite, smooth creamy CO2
Mid-palate: sustained bright kumquat citrusy, background soft tangy, (lvl-5-sweetness), sweet toffee barley malt
Finish: hints of banana wheat malt, dry resiny hopped bitter
Summary: The kumquat brings a nice sustained citrus element that is apparent from the mids to the finish. Overall delicious but I wished for more length and depth in the mids – it could use a meatier malt base. Overall well constructed and another quality DDC brew.