- My Rating: [A-], I gave it a (4.0 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
Stillwater Sensory Series v.1 – Lower Dens – Stillwater Artisanal (contract brewer; brewed & bottled by Twelve Percent Westminster, MD), 6% ABV, 12 oz., (Baltimore, Maryland, USA)
on the front-right label:
“The Stillwater Sensory Series is a collaboration between Stillwater Artisanal and singular musical artists. In this first collaboration, Stillwater works with Lower Dens to make an ale based on an interpretation of their song, “In the End is the Beginning.” On the bottle itself, a QR code will link to an exclusive Lower Dens performance of the song. Ultimately, this is a true artistic collaboration that aims to create a full sensory experience – sound, sight, smell, touch, and taste. http://www.stillwatersensory.com”
- Style: (flavoured – Hibiscus) Spice/Herb/Vegetable Ale
- Taste: Tangy-fruity chamomile honey toasty barley malt subtle hibiscus
- Where I got it : Legacy Liquor / Vancouver
- How much: $11.25 CAD (after 5% off) – 12 oz., November 2015
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: sure do
Visual: Pours pale golden orange with a smallish lasting 2mm head, decent fine micro retention, clusters of very fast active streams.
Nose: yeasty wheat malt sour funk, cotton candy/hibiscus, red field berries. (lvl-8)-pungency
Mid-palate: brightness, hints of chamomile, (lvl-5-sweetness), toffee-toasty barley malt, dissipating short sour-tangy
Finish: bready honey, gentle wheat malt roughness, very subtle bitter hops
Summary: Wow this is a fantastic spice/herb beer. Super sippable, seamless transitions, good complexity and depth along with a smooth mouthfeel. Every sip offers a different texture/taste depending on what you focus on. Although it was a bit $$$, I’m glad I tried it.