- My Rating: [A-], I gave it a (3.8 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
Aphrodisiaque – Brasserie Dieu du Ciel, 6.5% ABV, 330 ml., (St-Jerome, Quebec, Canada)
description from ratebeer.com:
“Black ale with aromas and flavours of vanilla, dark chocolate, bourbon and roasted malt. The vanilla and cocoa marry nicely, without out-competing each other, to produce a surprisingly well balanced beer. This beer is mildly hoppy, but the cocoa introduces a touch of bitterness. Its colour may be intimidating, but it is a very smooth beer within reach of most beer drinkers. This highly appreciated dessert beer is brewed with organic fair-trade cocoa and first rate vanilla beans.“
- Style: (flavoured – cocoa beans, vanilla beans) Stout
- Taste: Cocoa nutty toasted barley malt long vanilla bittersweet
- Where I got it : Bottle Jockey?
- How much: $20? – 6 x 330ml., sometime in 2015
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: yes!
Visual: (6-pack). Pours pitch black/brown without any real head, thin ringed retention with a medium island, barley visible steady nano-clusters along the inside perimeter.
Nose: vanilla’d molasses, caramel sweet rich barley malts. Slight nutty edge. (lvl-5)-pungency
Attack: light crisp, partially flat CO2
Mid-palate: molasses, (lvl-5)-sweetness, cola & root beer notes, sweet caramel barley malt
Finish: caramel’d toasted brown sugar, cocoa bean nutty, long vanilla charred malt hopped bittersweet hopped finish.
Summary: Fabulous. I probably sipped this one in record time. Delicious and engaging full flavours, rich complexity, clean finish. It could have used a bit more creaminess in the mouthfeel but a must try for stout lovers.