- My Rating: [A-], I gave it a (4 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
Pure Hoppiness Double India Pale Ale – Alpine Beer Company, 8.0% ABV, 12 oz., (Alpine, California, USA)
on the front-right label:
“This mega-hopped, West Coast-Style India Pale Ale will take you to hop heaven! We’ve used hops in the boil, more hops in the giant hopback, and added to that, an incredible amount of dry-hopping for that cutting edge ‘hop bite.’ Once you’ve tasted this unique beer, all others pale in comparison. Drink better beer so… drink Alpine ale or go to bed!”
- Style: Double IPA / Imperial IPA
- Taste: Balanced grassy citrus/dry peach toffee malt dry bitter hopped finish
- Where I got it : Bottle Jockey / N. Burnaby
- How much: $5 (after 12.5% off) – 12 oz., March 2016
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: clean DIPA without being excessive
Visual: Pours deep copper orange with a small but lasting foamy head, sticky lacing, lots of steady clustered streams.
Nose: peachy-grapefruity citrus hop oils. (lvl-6)-pungency – (optimal at cellar temp)
Attack: crisp, thick and smooth mouthfeel
Mid-palate: tangerine hop oils, (lvl-4-sweetness), toffee’d barley malt, subdued zingy alcohol
Finish: big-rounded orange citrusy hopped bitterness, dry grassiness, clean finish
Summary: Seemingly simple yet it’s because it is so balanced. What surprised me was how superbly sippable this was – the hops linger just long enough, without being overly harsh at any point. Very nice.