- My Rating: [B], I gave it a (3.5 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
Ume Umai – Beer with plum and black rice – Gigantic Brewing Company, 7.5% ABV, 22 oz., (Portland, Oregon, USA)
on the front-right label:
“Inspired by the Japanese flavor palette, we combined plums, black rice and pilsner malt to make a unique beer experience. Brewed ‘dry’ in the Asian manner, ume umai is fruity, yet earthy and above all refreshing and delicious.”
- Style: (flavoured – plum, black rice) Specialty Grain
- Taste: Fruity tangy plum earthy rice barley malt dry roughish
- Where I got it : Bainbridge Liquor / Burnaby
- How much: $11.55 (after 10% off) – 22 oz., February 2016
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: 50/50
Visual: Pours opaque cloudy marmalade orange with a smallish but ultra-long lasting “it’s alive”/nano foamy retention, all-encompassing clusters of active streams.
Nose: light plummy toasted barley malt with tang, farty barley malt (lvl-4)-pungency
Attack: slick-almost NO2 creamy, crisp
Mid-palate: tingly-tangy, (lvl-4-sweetness), light sour plum, background sweet barley malt, grainy earthy rice
Finish: plum tanginess, light pukey, a touch of saltiness, slight dry barley malt roughness, very subtle bitterness.
Summary: Lots of crispness in this one, balanced well with a tanginess that lays just beneath the fruity flavour, holding its hand along the way. Slight dry roughness at the finish but otherwise very drinkable, 7.5% ABV undetectable.