- My Rating: [C+], I gave it a (3.0 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
Iceman Hard Cider – Angry Orchard, 10% ABV, 750 ml., (Cincinnati, Ohio, USA / also NY)
printed on the back of the bottle:
“The Legend of Iceman
Inspired by the tradition of Ice Ciders in Quebec, Canada, Iceman uses the process of freezing the juice from culinary and bittersweet apples to produce a rich, complex and unique cider with a crisp apple taste and notes of caramel and toffee. This cider is sweet but not cloying. The addition of oak-aging yields a smooth and pleasing vanilla character. The result is a perfectly balanced, full-flavored cider that delights the palate with clean apple notes and a lingering toffee finish.”
- Style: (oak-aged, iced) Apple Cider
- Taste: Sugar forward heavy alcoholic big tangy-sour-acidic tart red apple perfumey background woody
- Where I got it : Costco Portland
- How much: $13 USD – 750ml., November 2014
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: nah
- Would I recommend this to cider aficionados: only for the sweet tooth
Visual: Composite cork with a twisty steel cap, hefty bottle. Pours deep dark golden orange with no head, a small island off to the side, just a few bubbles surfacing.
Nose: filtered apple juice, a touch of perfumey acidity. (lvl-5)-pungency
Attack: dense syrupy sugars, heavy entry
Mid-palate: rich filtered red apple juice, big tangy-alcoholic acidity, elderflower, (lvl-7-sweetess)
Finish: red apple juice exhale, sticky tart cloying sugars, mild woodiness.
Summary: Very sugary forward with a rich red apple body and tangy acidity to hold it together. The alcohol is quite noticeable and adds to the heaviness factor. I find this to be too cloying and palate-heavy for my tastes – not quite as refreshing or bright as I’d hoped.