- My Rating: [C+]
Dry Hopped Brewers Reserve Series Sour Saison (French Oak BA) – Spinnakers Brewpub, 5.6% ABV – 35 IBU, 650ml., (Victoria, BC, Canada) (*local BC craft beer)
on the front-right label:
“A dry saison fermented with a French yeast strain, aged for 9 months in French Oak barrels and then dry hopped with Topaz hops. Tart, funky, and fruity, this sour ale has characteristics of citrus, passionfruit, pineapple, with added complexity from it’s [sic] maturation in oak.”
- Style: (barrel aged – French Oak) Sour Saison
- Taste: Sour pukey barnyard grapefruit subtle bitter dry grainy oaked barley
- Where I got it : BC Liquor Stores
- How much: $12.90 CAD – 650ml., August 2016
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: didn’t love it
Visual: Pours cloudy pale peachy orange with a very small dissipating head, ringed retention with a big island, a few fast bubbles here and there.
Nose: peach, pineapple, sour acidic funk. (lvl-7)-pungency
Attack: big sour pukey, incoming fruity
Mid-palate: tart crisp bite, bitter pink grapefruit, sour pukey barnyard, (lvl-3-sweetness)
Finish: passionfruit exhale, lingering tartness, very subtle hopped bitterness, dry woody oak, grainy barley malt
Summary: Of the 7 Spinnaker brews I’ve had to date so far, this is one with the most depth and complexity. I find this one a bit too sour and pukey but at least citrus and passionfruit flavours are on point.