- My Rating: [C+], I gave it a (3.2 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
Pumpkin Ale (aka Stingy Jack Pumpkin Ale) – Laurelwood Brewing Company, 7.5% ABV – 25 IBU, 22 oz., (Portland, Oregon, USA)
on the front-right label:
“Laurelwood Pumpkin Ale is brewed using pumpkin puree and a blend of seasonal spices creating a smooth and robust amber ale.”
- Style: (flavoured – pumpkin, spices) Spiced Ale
- Taste: Heavily clove-cinnamon-nutmeg spiced pumpkin sweet toffee malt gaggy finish
- Where I got it : Bainbridge Liquor / Burnaby
- How much: $8.75 CAD (after 10% off) – 22 oz., February 2016
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: nah, didn’t love it
Visual: Pours clear copper brown with a very small dissipating head, just a touch of lacing, thick ring of retention, steady spread out clusters of activity.
Nose: cinnamon-nutmeg-clove trifecta mixed with toffee malts and baked pie crust (lvl-6)-intensity
Attack: crisp numbing bite, incoming sticky sweetness
Mid-palate: cascading creamy-tingly mouthfeel, (lvl-7-sweetness), toffee barley malt, pumpkin
Finish: residual cloying sweetness, soft hopped pie spiced bitterness mixed with toffee’d barley malt.
Summary: A ton of pumpkin pie spices but an overly sweet drinking experience halfway through the bottle. The lingering spices at the finish leaves a somewhat unpleasant gag reflex, for me at least anyway.