- My Rating: [C+]
Gabbie’s Premium Semi-Dry Cider – Ravenskill Orchards, 6.5% ABV, 750 ml., (Gabriola Island, BC, Canada) (*local BC craft cider*)
On the front-right label:
“Gabbie’s premium ‘Semi-Dry’ cider is handcrafted in a traditional ‘old-world’ style using ‘new world’ techniques. A perfect blend of distinctive flavour and colourfully named apple varieties such as Yarlington Mill, Newtown Pippin, Kingston Black & Porter’s Perfection.”
- Style: (semi-dry) Apple Cider
- Taste: Clean crisp filtered semi-dry apple juice white wine notes tart finish
- Where I got it : Brewery Creek / Vancouver
- How much: $18.40 CAD (after 10% off) – 750 ml., March 2016
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to cider aficionados: too ordinary
Visual: Wrinkly paper sticker label. Pours clear dirty yellow with no head, very loose clusters of slow steady streams.
Nose: filtered apple juice, floral perfume (lvl-5)-pungency
Attack: very crisp bite, tingly CO2
Mid-palate: clean filtered apple juice, background tangy acidity, (lvl-3-sweetness), chardonnay notes
Finish: tartness, lingering apple aromas, off-dryness
Summary: Pretty ordinary actually, nothing in the flavour strikes me as “premium” at all. It’s clean and direct from start to finish – mainly apple with a hint of wine, but the taste certainly doesn’t justify the price at $20/bottle.