- My Rating: [C+], I gave it a (3.1 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
Olde Winston Smoked Porter – Off The Rail Brewing Company, 5.4% ABV, 650 ml., (Vancouver, BC, Canada) (*local BC craft beer*)
- Style: (Porter) Smoked
- Taste: Smoked sweet thin barley malt dry dark choco coffee exhale charred wood bitter
- Where I got it : BC Liquor Stores
- How much: $6.10 CAD – 650 ml., February 2016
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: okay but not great
Visual: Warning: gusher upon opening: Pours ultra dark brown with a humongous lasting frothy head, tight clustered waves at the bottom of the glass.
Nose: soft sour malt smoked sweet barley. (lvl-6)-intensity
Attack: crisp-airy CO2
Mid-palate: creamy-tingly-fizzy, (lvl-5-sweetness), encroaching smoked medium roasted barley malt, cola, metallic off-flavour (from the cap)
Finish: dry dark chocolate, coffee exhale, charred wood bitter, subtle lingering bitter hops
Summary: The smoked malt flavour is decent, but it doesn’t have any especially captivating nuances. It’s thin in the mids and is a kind of like a low amplitude beer.