- My Rating: [B-], I gave it a (3.4 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
Spring Rye (Single hop rye ale with coriander) – Burnside Brewing Co., 5.5% ABV – 21 IBU, 22 oz., (Portland, Oregon, USA)
on the front-left label:
“Burnside’s Spring Rye, our new seasonal, is brewed with 45% Roggenmalz (German Rye) and single hopped with Willamette Valley grown Ultra Hops. The Rye adds nutty and spicy notes in addition to an increased viscosity and mouth feel. A resurrected varietal as of the 2013 harvest, Ultra features notes of lemon and tropical fruits.”
- Style: (rye, flavoured with coriander) Specialty Grain
- Taste: Full CO2 crisp tangy grainy barley-rye malt light spicy coriander soft bitter hop
- Where I got it : Bottle Jockey / N.Bby
- How much: $9 CAD (after 7.5% off) – 22 oz., July 2014
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: solid, but not memorable
Visual: Pours pale orange with a RIDICULOUSLY large 90% head/10% beer, thick foamy retention, a symphony of fast active streams. Wow.
Nose: sweet metallic liquid lager malt, hints of lemon. (lvl-5)-intensity
Attack: crisp, fizzy-creamy full CO2
Mid-palate: background tangy, (lvl-5-sweetness), lemony grainy barley malt
Finish: rye malt spicy, light coriander exhale, burpy, subtle bitter hops, some yeasty funk.
Summary: Amazing CO2 fullness, good solid malt body with rye, coriander and a citrus hopped nuances. Very drinkable.