- My Rating: [C+], I gave it a (3 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
Log Driver Juniper Rye IPA – Howe Sound Brewing, 5.5% ABV – 45 IBU, 1L., (Squamish, BC, Canada) (*local BC craft beer*)
on the front-left label:
“This American style rye IPA brewed with Juniper berries has a bright citrus and mango aroma and a refreshing piney avor. Combining the juniper avor with a dry hop of Simcoe and Chinook hops results in a beautiful balance of juicy fruit and resinous pine notes.”
- Style: (flavoured – juniper berries, rye) India Pale Ale
- Taste: Mild juniper resiny pine grainy barley malt soft bitter hops overall thin
- Where I got it : BC Liquor Stores
- How much: $9.45 CAD (after 10% off) – 1L., February 2016
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: nah
Visual: 1L bailer top bottle. Pours clear pale orange with a dissipating small head, a thin spotty layer of micro retention, bubbles surfacing here and there.
Nose: juniper, citrusy hopped malt (lvl-4)-intensity
Attack: crisp, almost slick
Mid-palate: juniper, (lvl-5-sweetness), resiny piney grainy barley malt
Finish: off-dry grapefruit soft bitter hops, rye malt spicy
Summary: Flavours are okay and work well in unison but the body is a bit thin at the backend and the mouthfeel isn’t creamy enough. Not quite as bright or juicy as I’d hoped.