- My Rating: [C-], I gave it a (2.4 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
Ciel de Nuit dark sour – Spinnakers Brewpub, 7.0% ABV – 30 IBU, 650ml., (Victoria, BC, Canada) (*local BC craft beer)
on the front-right label:
“Ciel de Nuit dark sour saison has been aged and for 9 months in French oak barrels. This complex French Farmhouse-style beer has a rich and dark malt profile as well as spicy characteristics from a French Saison yeast strain. This beers sour character is the result of a secondary fermentation in barrels with a special blend of wild yeast and bacteria.”
- Style: (barrel aged – French Oak) Sour Brown Ale
- Taste: Harsh pukey sour stale red wine brown sugar malt non-smooth
- Where I got it : Bainbridge Liquor / Burnaby
- How much: $8.85 CAD (after 10% off) – 650ml., February 2016
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: thumbs down
Visual: Pours dark brown with a slight red hue, minimal head with a thin 1mm layer of micro retention, a continuous torrent of clustered super-fast streams.
Nose: sour woody barley malt with some pukiness. (lvl-6)-pungency
Attack: incoming big sour/puckery
Mid-palate: harsh (lvl-6-sweetness) mixed with pukey sourness, stale DIY red wine
Finish: brown sugar malty, oak woodiness exhale, soft gentle hopped bitter, lingering sour pukiness.
Summary: Harsh pukey sourness from start to finish, no real appealing qualities to this beer. The astringent sourness is similar to the pukiness found in their Choc-o-holic Porter, which I gave a total fail rating. At least this one is somewhat drinkable.