- My Rating: [B+], I gave it a (3.8 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
Vanilla Oatis Oatmeal Stout – Ninkasi Brewing Company, 7.2% ABV – 50 IBU– 22 fl.oz., (Eugene, Oregon, USA)
on the front-right label:
“A delicious Oatmeal Stout with just enough hops to balance the copious quantities of dark roasted malts, oatmeal for a creamy smooth drinkability, and whole vanilla beans for a rich complexity. To achieve this higher level of decadence, we added in whole vanilla beans to the final stage of fermentation – the same process we use to dry hop a beer.”
- Style: (flavoured – Oatmeal, vanilla beans) Sweet Stout
- Taste: Slick creamy sweet dark roasted barley chocolate vanilla burnt bitter exhaled bitter hops
- Where I got it : BC Liquor Stores
- How much: $5 CAD ($20 for 4-pack) – 22 fl.oz., November 2014
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: definitely
Visual: Part of a 4-pack, mixed bombers. Pours jet black with a quickly dissipating small head, a thin layer of retention, a few bubbles here and there.
Nose: sweet medium roasted caramel barley malt, prominent vanilla (lvl-8)-pungency
Attack: slick-oily-thick, crisp bite
Mid-palate: thick liquid deep roast barley malt, (lvl-6-sweetness), background dissipating tangy sour, milk sugars
Finish: chocolate, vanilla, lingering roasted bitter intermixed with bitter hops
Summary: A deliciously decadent mix of dark roasty chocolate vanilla – great balance, drinkability, and complexity. Lots of flavours you can focus individually on.