- My Rating: [C+], I gave it a (3.0 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
Cold Smoke Smoked Porter – Mt Begbie Brewing Co., 6.5% ABV, 650ml., (Revelstoke, BC, Canada) (*local BC craft beer*)
printed on the front-left label:
“Dry powder snow hanging in the air like ‘Cold Smoke’. It’s the ultimate winter-sport fantasy, and the reason people from all over the globe flock to BC each winter. Hop into this Beechwood smoked rich malty Porter – the only friend you need on a powder day!”
- Style: Smoked (Porter)
- Taste: Toffee-caramel barley malt light smoke becomes cloying-heavy
- Where I got it : BC Liquor Stores
- How much: $6 CAD – 650ml., December 2015
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: nah
Visual: Pours beer bottle brown with a smallish dissipating head, ringed and island retention, fast singular streams here and there.
Nose: sweet toffee barley malt, a little booze and a little smoke. (lvl-5)-pungency
Attack: crisp, incoming dense sweetness
Mid-palate: toffee/caramel barley malt, background alcoholic tang, borderline heavy (lvl-7-sweet)
Finish: mildly astringent soft woody smoke exhale, lingering sweet barley malts, subtle
Summary: Big caramel toffee sweetness with just a bit of smoke. It becomes cloying, somewhat heavy, and linear halfway through.