- My Rating: [C+], I gave it a (3 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
Ace of Hokkaido Single hop/Sorachi Ace Golden Ale – Central City Brewers + Distillers, 5% ABV, 650ml, (Surrey, BC, Canada) (*local BC craft beer)
- here’s more info on the Sorachi Ace hop varietal (ychhops.com)
on the front-left label:
“Roaming the mountains of Hokkaido’s Sorachi region, the Ace of Hokkaido fearlessly protects those in need. In masked anonymity, a black shitago and sheathed odachi mark the distinctive silhouette that sinks into the darkness of night. The Ace of Hokkaido is the vigilante guardian watching over the villages of Sorachi.”
- Style: (Single Hop – Sorachi Ace) Golden Ale
- Taste: Composed sweet citrus liquid barley malt numbing bitter hop subtle dill
- Where I got it : BC Liquor Stores
- How much: $6.30 CAD (10% off) – 650ml., May 2016
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: I’ve had more distinct single hopped
Visual: Pours clear golden orange without too much head, thin hazy layer of retention.
Nose: sweet clean liquid barley malt. (lvl-3)-pungency
Attack: crisp-light fizzy, subdued background incoming bitter hops
Mid-palate: (lvl-4-sweetness), medium bright orange/lemon citrus undertones, liquid barley malt
Finish: somewhat metallic, numbing soft hoppy bitter, almost salty dill exhale.
Summary: Not really “in your face” dill and lemons flavours as advertised, but rather subtle and composed. Okay, but the brew didn’t exactly make a Sorachi Ace statement.