- My Rating: [B-], I gave it a (3.5 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
Pomme Oh! Fortified Apple Cider – Merridale Ciderworks Corp., 19.5% ABV, 375 ml., (Cobble Hill, BC, Canada) (*local BC wine)
on the front-left label:
“In the tradition of Normandy and Bretagne, we started fermenting fresh pressed cider apples in French oak barrels. At the precise hour, we add our own cider brandy to stop the fermentation and preserve the natural sweetness. It continues to age until it reaches maturity with an exquisite balance of fruitiness, body and alcohol.
- Style: (fortified apple cider) Dessert Wine
- Taste: Fruity sippable apple woody oak soft tangy subtle alcohol juicy
- Where I got it : Brewery Creek / Vancouver
- How much: $25 CAD (after 10% off) – 375ml., March 2012
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to dessert wine aficionados: drinkable but I won’t dream about it
Visual: (cellared for 4 years). Synthetic cork. Pours crystal clear light apple juice yellow.
Nose: oaked woody apple cider with honey apple sweet acidity, very juicy. (lvl-7)-pungency
Attack: bright fruity apple juice, subdued alcohol bitterness
Mid-palate: tangy sweet acidity, (lvl-3-sweetness), oaked apple honey, eau-de-vie dryness
Finish: mild tongue numbness, residual tangy-juicy, light oaked apple exhale.
Summary: Very juicy and drinkable, although somewhat simplistic watery-bodied mids. It drinks very easily for a 20%’er.