- My Rating: [B-], I gave it a (3.2 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
Graham Cracker Ale – Hearthstone Brewing Company, 8.0% ABV – 30 IBUs, 473 ml., (North Vancouver, BC, Canada) (*local BC craft beer)
printed on the back of the can:
“In 1829, Presbyterian minister Sylvester Graham invented the graham cracker in an attempt at staving off an epidemic that was sweeping the nation – masturbation.
As a tribute to Reverend Graham, we decided to concoct a graham cracker brew with 50 kg of graham crackers in each batch, resulting in notes of honey, vanilla and all around graham cracker goodness.
So instead of knocking one out this evening, how about knocking one back with Hearthstone! Cheers!”
- Style: (flavoured – graham cracker) American Strong Ale
- Taste: Sweetish toffee bran cookie bitter hop astringent biscuity malt
- Where I got it : High Point / Vancouver
- How much: $4.15 CAD – 473ml., February 2016
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: …mmm, nah.
Visual: Pours medium dark brown with a smallish head, sticky lacing, a thin layer of retention, singular steady streams here and there.
Nose: sweet toasted cookie malt (lvl-5)-pungency
Attack: crisp bite
Mid-palate: creamy-crisp, (lvl-5-sweetness), bran cookie, soft transitional sour astringency, background bitter hops
Finish: vanilla, toasted biscuity toffee malt exhale.
Summary: It sounded gimmicky at first (~a la pizza beer), but actually, it’s quite drinkable with decent depth, complexity and balance. Somewhat astringently hoppy in the finish.