- My Rating: [C+], I gave it a (3.0 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
McCools Hazelnut Porter – Hearthstone Brewing Company, 5.0% ABV – 25 IBUs, 500 ml., (North Vancouver, BC, Canada) (*local BC craft beer)
printed on the back of the can:
“The Celts believed hazelnuts gave one wisdom. There is an ancient tale where nine hazelnut trees grew around a sacred pool, dropping into the water nuts that were eaten by salmon, who absorbed the wisdom.
A Druid teacher caught one of these special salmon and asked a student to cook the fish, but not to eat it. While he was cooking it, a blister formed and the pupil used his thumb to burst it, which he then sucked to cool, thereby absorbing the fish’s wisdom. This boy was called Fin McCool and he went on to become on of the most heroic leaders in Gaelic mythology.” (also found on wiki)
- Style: (flavoured? – hazelnut) Porter
- Taste: Straightforward dry roast bitter malt generic nutty
- Where I got it : High Point / N. Burnaby
- How much: $4.00 CAD – 500ml., February 2016
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: nah
Visual: Pours dark brown with minimal head, half layer of micro retention, thicker viscosity, clusters of micro streams around the perimeter.
Nose: nutty malt deep roast. (lvl-4)-pungency
Attack: crisp, slick-mildly thicker viscosity
Mid-palate: dry bitter deep roast barley, continued-crispness/tingly-fizzy, (lvl-3-sweetness), nutty-woody, caramel malty
Finish: lingering roast bittersweetness, subtle hop bitterness.
Summary: Decent big roast flavour with generic nutty bitterness. Straightforward, not that intriguing.