- My Rating: [B-], I gave it a (3.3 of 5) on Ratebeer.com
Chocolate Milk Stout – Hearthstone Brewing Company, 5.5% ABV – 19 IBUs, 500 ml., (North Vancouver, BC, Canada) (*local BC craft beer)
-My 1st tasting from this newish brewery up in North Vancouver.
printed on the back of the can:
“A dark and broody milk stout, full bodied and perfect to cuddle up next to a fire with. We age this stout on cacao nibs from the East Van Roasting Company, a non-profit enterprise supporting women on Vancouver’s downtown east side. Notes of coffee, chocolate and a hint of sweetness from the milk sugar, this stout pairs perfectly with desert [sic], red meat and rich cheeses. Enjoy.”
- Style: (flavoured – cacao nibs, milk sugar) Stout
- Taste: Roasted barley background sour cacao nib nutty coffee roasty exhale
- Where I got it : High Point / N. Burnaby
- How much: $4.15 CAD – 500ml., February 2016
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: not that spectacular
Visual: Pours blackish-brown without a siginificant head, ringed retention with large islands, lots of micro streams.
Nose: deep roasted coffee malt (lvl-6)-pungency
Attack: light crisp-half slick, light tingly
Mid-palate: background sour, nutty coffee, (lvl-5-sweetness), roasted barley malt
Finish: chocolate mixed with sweet barley, coffee bitterness, deep roasted barley exhale
Summary: More of a nutty cacao nib flavour than actual chocolate, nevertheless it’s still quite good with decent depth and length. Not quite enough ‘milk’ character and a touch thin in the finish.